History

  • 4th century AD - Roman castle ('Foetibus') on the Schlossberg to protect the 'Via Claudia Augusta'
  • 8th century - Cell of St. Magnus
  • About 850 - Founding of St. Mang Benedictine Monastery
  • About 1295 Town charter
  • 1313 - Town mortgaged to the Archbishops of Augsburg who remain lords of the town until 1802
  • About 1335 - Town fortifications erected; economic boom and prosperity as place of transhipment for transit goods
  • 15th / 16th c. - Birthplace and European centre of the lute and violin making trade
  • 17th / 18th c. - Repeated severe destruction through war
  • 1701-17 - Construction of the Baroque Church and Monastery of St. Mang
  • 1745 - Peace of Füssen ends the Bavarian-Austrian War of Succession
  • 1802/03 - Secularisation (St. Mang dissolved) and incorporation of the town into Bavaria
  • Today - Centre of tourism for the East Allgäu (14,000 inhabitants)
Highlights in Füssen

Tourist Information Füssen
Kaiser-Maximilian-Platz 1
87629 Füssen
Phone +49 (0) 8362 9385-0
Fax +49 (0) 8362 9385-20
www.fuessen.de
tourismus@fuessen.de

Our partner in Füssen: 
LUITPOLDPARK-HOTEL****

» E-Mail | » Internet

A long weekend

Füssen for beginners

– for the romantically inclined and those who want to become so. With a comfortable dose of town history, two fairytale castles and a short dip into...

We have found 2 events for you
08 Aug

08.08.2020 – 09.08.2020

Füssen Municipal Festival