History

  • AD 1000 -1st mention in a deed of gift from Otto III to the Würzburg bishopric
  • Since 131 - Hohenlohe possession
  • 1316/1525/1632 - Destruction of the castles
  • 1723-50 - Construction of the Baroque Castle
  • 1894-1900 - Prince Chlodwig von Hohenlohe Chancellor of the German Empire and Minister President of Prussia

A baroque pearl in the Franconian Heights (Frankenhöhe)

Schillingsfürst

They gaze trustingly with big, wide eyes and they are very cute, but their fate is sealed: the 'Stupfl', as the famous chocolate hedgehogs in the castle café are called, are still eaten today, ideally on the terrace, which provides a wonderful panoramic view over the Hohenlohe region. From the café, it’s only a few steps to the impressive Baroque Prince’s Castle and the falconry within the Franconian Heights Nature Park. On the way back, yet another quick 'Stupfl', because you need, of course, to fortify yourself for the visit to the pump room museum and, most importantly, the tasting at the schnapps distillery in town …